At an early age, LeBron James’ rare combination of size, strength, and skills led him to be called, “The Chosen One.” LeBron was born to a 16-year old mother and grew up poor and without a father. However, he persevered and was a phenom on the basketball court from an early age. When it comes to a young LeBron James, I’m reminded of the famous Bible quote,
“From those to whom much is given, much is expected.”Luke 12:48
Well, the bar was set incredibly high, but Lebron didn’t disappoint. First, he led his St. Mary high school team in Akron, Ohio to 3 state titles. Then, LeBron was so good he skipped college entirely and was the first pick of the 2003 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The rest, as they say, is history. LeBron continues to add to his legacy, and is on a short-list of the best basketball players ever, and listed as one of the world’s most influential athletes by Forbes. So, after persevering through a tough childhood to become one of the GOAT (Greatest of All-Time) what wisdom does LeBron have for us? Here are the best LeBron James quotes on his childhood, success, and basketball:
Need motivation from LeBron? Start here:
LeBron James Quotes About Childhood, Education (Nothing Is Given!)
1. “Dad, you know what, I don’t know you I have no idea who you are, but because of you is part of the reason who I am today.’ The fuel that I use – you not being there – it’s part of the reason I grew up to become who I am. It’s part of the reason why I want to be hands-on with my endeavors… So me in a position allowing people around me to grow, that maybe wouldn’t have happened if I had two parents, two sisters, a dog, and a picket fence, you know?
2. “I think the reason why I am who I am today is because I went through those tough times when I was younger.”
3. “(In Northest Ohio) Nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.” – LeBron James
4. “Being the only man in the household with my mom definitely helped me grow up fast.”
5. “Where I grew up – I grew up on the north side of Akron, lived in the projects. So those scared and lonely nights – that’s every night. You hear a lot of police sirens, you hear a lot of gunfire. Things that you don’t want your kids to hear growing up.”
6. “Maybe my pain was motivation.” – LeBron James
7. “My father wasn’t around when I was a kid, and I used to always say, ‘Why me? Why don’t I have a father? Why isn’t he around? Why did he leave my mother?’ But as I got older I looked deeper and thought, ‘I don’t know what my father was going through, but if he was around all the time, would I be who I am today?“
8. “In fourth grade, I missed 82 days of school. Out of 160.”
9. “My mom and I have always been there for each other. We had some tough times, but she was always there for me.”
10. “Akron, Ohio, is my home. I will always be here. I’m still working out at my old high school.”
LeBron James Quotes on Success, Leadership, & Failure:
A lot of successful people bring a winning attitude to whatever they do. In fact, LeBron James once said, “ever since I was a kid, I was always the winner.” Here’s what else LeBron James has said about success.”
2. “Heavy Is The head that wears the crown. Been that! And I’m still standing upright & strong!” – LeBron James quote (Instagram)
3. “You can’t be afraid to fail. It’s the only way you succeed. You’re not gonna succeed all the time and I know that.”
4. “You have to be able to accept failure to get better.”
5. “I like criticism. It makes you strong.” – LeBron James
6. “I think, team first. It allows me to succeed, it allows my team to succeed.”
7. “My game is really played above time. I don’t say that like I’m saying I’m ahead of my time. I’m saying, like, if I’m on the court and I throw a pass, the ball that I’ve thrown will lead my teammate right where he needs to go, before he even knows that that’s the right place to go to.”
8. “Commitment is a big part of what I am and what I believe. How committed are you to winning? How committed are you to being a good friend? To being trustworthy? To being successful? How committed are you to being a good father, a good teammate, a good role model? There’s that moment every morning when you look in the mirror: Are you committed, or are you not?” – LeBron James
9. “I laugh and joke, but I don’t get distracted very easily.”
10. “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.” – Coach Tim Notke, but sometimes wrongly attributed as a LeBron James quote
11. “You know, my family and friends have never been yes-men: ‘Yes, you’re doing the right thing, you’re always right.’ No, they tell me when I’m wrong, and that’s why I’ve been able to stay who I am and stay humble.”
12. “Greatness is defined by how much you want to put into what you do.”
LeBron James Quotes About Basketball & Life:
A lot of LeBron James’ quotes on success apply directly to the game of basketball, and are one in the same. Here are some more LeBron James quotes about basketball:
1. “You know, when I have a bad game, it continues to humble me and know that you still have work to do, and you still have a lot of people to impress.” – LeBron James
2. “Ask me to steal, block out, sacrifice, lead, dominate. Anything. But it’s not what you ask of me, it’s what I ask of myself.”
3. “I don’t need too much. Glamour and all that stuff don’t excite me. I am just glad I have the game of basketball in my life.”
4. “Your teammates give you the confidence. They give me the confidence all year, all postseason.”
5. “There is a lot of pressure put on me, but I don’t put a lot of pressure on myself. I feel if I play my game, it will take care of itself.”
6. “I hate letting my teammates down. I know I’m not going to make every shot. Sometimes I try to make the right play, and if it results in a loss, I feel awful. I don’t feel awful because I have to answer questions about it. I feel awful in that locker room because I could have done something more to help my teammates win.” – LeBron James
7. “Basketball is my passion, I love it. But my family and friends mean everything to me. That’s what’s important. I need my phone so I can keep in contact with them at all times.”
8. “I treated it like every day was my last day with a basketball.”
*Related: Free Shipping at Finish Line!
LeBron James Quotes on Charity & God:
1. “Beyond blessed I am, and that’s why I give it back to anyone that’s around me in my presence! Good vibes only is the motto, Live Life to Fullest, Be Great/Kind to others and happiness is the ULTIMATE!” – LeBron James quote from Instagram
2. “God gave me a gift to do other things besides playing the game of basketball.” – LeBron James
One of those “other things” LeBron does with his wealth and influence is to be charitable. Some of the charities LeBron supports include the Boys & Girls Club, the Children’s Defense Fund, and ONEXONE.
3. “I’m going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.” – LeBron James
4. “There are always people always asking you for something. But I feel like I have a foundation. I have a supporting cast where it doesn’t bother me too much.” – LeBron James
Very true. In fact, LeBron established the LeBron James Family Foundation and provides student scholarships through the University of Akron.
These Quotes from LeBron Can Motivate You!
“My dream has become a reality now, and it’s the best feeling I’ve ever had.” – LeBron James
All the talent in the world alone can’t make someone a true success, even the Chosen One, LeBron James. It takes a number of other qualities, belief in your dreams, hard work, and striving for greatness.
I hope these quotes from LeBron James help to motivate you in your own personal challenges and road to success. If you enjoyed these LeBron quotes, please share this page!